There is always a battle over bone or ivory with these early sets but we believe this set to be made of bone, albeit nice quality bone with few defects (which makes identification that much harder). Prove us wrong and you’ll really steal the set but we are going with our background research. Regardless, this is a fantastic set with great color and when put together with the artistically done racks and box then you’ll have the most complete set offered as of late.
Comes with great near period lacquered hand painted Dragon motif accessories that include 4 racks and a covered counter stick box.
Though this set is not attributed specifically to a manufacture, it is clearly marked not only on the bottom of the shelved box but also on the beautiful condition paper label on the back of the front slide door. It is a 1923 set and many manufactures are noted during this arguably first year of mass popularity of Mah-Jongg (or Mah-Jong) sets.
- Ebony colored, but we believe Rosewood base, 5 Drawer box with vertical sliding front cover. Front of door/cover marked “Mah-Jongg”. Back of cover has paper label marked that reads “One Genuine Set, Mah-Jongg / Trade Mark Reg. U.S. Pat. Off., / Made in China, / Patented April 3, 1923”
- Counters: 9 with 5 Red dots, 36 with 1 Red dot, 41 with 10 Black dots and 40 with 2 Black dots. We believe that with a couple of these you get a couple of extras.
- 2 Dice in sliding lid wood box
- “Ming” canister with 3 coins
- Tiles, Dovetailed into Bamboo backings: 36 Dots, 36 Bams (Bamboo), 36 Cracks (characters) and 36 Winds, Dragons and Flowers for a total of 144 tiles. Additionally, there are another 4 blanks in the top compartment along with one blank counter stick.
- 4 Black lacquered tile racks with lids that lift up and back with unique Brass colored hinges. Hand decorated with Dragon and flourish motif. Due to their hand painted nature, the Dragon colorings vary from Dragon to Dragon anywhere from a Silver to Red-Orange but all are in nice condition. These have a few normal chips one edges but are generally in great shape.
- Matching black lacquered lidded box to hold the counter sticks. Hand decorated with Dragon and flourish motif.
Box is in fantastic overall condition. There is one metal corner decorative piece off on the right/bottom side but it is included. There is also a small round Brass disc that appears to have been on the top of the case though it was placed (by hand) off center and we like it better without it.
We think you’ll agree not only that this is a beautiful set but also the most complete setup your likely to find. All vintage and from original owner.
Please see pictures for any minor “defects” from aging and marks and small chips on box parts. Nothing big.
Lacquer has minor chips and marks but overall these pieces are in very good condition. Again, take a look at the pictures as we have tried to tell the whole story with those. What you see is what you get. Also use the pictures in case we might have missed something or misidentified names of tiles, etc..
Please note that particularly on the lacquer items (but also on some other pieces on occasion) the light creates color casts (generally Red or Green) and close-up pictures overstate the grain/lacquer.